Your pelvic floor muscles- the ones that hold up your bladder and bowels and control when you pee- need to be kept strong, just like other muscles in your body.
Weak pelvic floor muscles due to things such as aging, smoking, childbirth, and more may cause issues like urinary incontinence (loss of bladder control) or pelvic organ prolapse (POP). What's more- stress and anxiety can contribute to bladder issues!
So, how can you improve pelvic floor strength, prevent incontinence, and relieve stress at the same time?
Yoga. Studies have shown that yoga decreases anxiety and stress while strengthening your pelvic floor muscles.
Try these 10 easy yoga poses to improve pelvic floor function and find out if you qualify to receive free bladder control products with Aeroflow Urology.
- Yoga is a calming activity that connects you with your body while strengthening and toning muscles at the same time.
- Yoga has been shown to reduce pelvic pain.
- It’s one of the best ways to strengthen your pelvic muscles, especially if you’re already leaking and want better control and fewer accidents.
- Yoga reduces anxiety and stress in both men and women.
- Yoga helps men perform better in the bedroom.
Other exercises, such as high-intensity interval training (HIIT), cycling, and jogging, can cause leakage for those who have stress urinary incontinence (leaking pee when engaging in physical activities like sneezing or exercising). These exercises can also damage your pelvic floor muscles if done incorrectly or too often, so stick to a daily yoga routine to prevent leaks and strengthen your pelvic muscles.
10 Poses for a Strong Pelvic Floor
Various relaxing yoga poses help you relieve stress and anxiety while gaining physical strength in your pelvic floor muscles.
These poses can also:
- Improve digestion.
- Lessen back pain.
- Lower blood pressure.
- Relieve pain in the pelvic area.
Hold each pose for about 1 minute unless otherwise specified in the directions.
1. Hook Lying With Block
- Relax by laying on the floor with your knees bent, keeping your feet slightly apart.
- Place a yoga block between your knees.
- Slowly exhale as you squeeze the block with your knees and lift your pelvis off the floor.
- Inhale and relax your muscles as you return your buttocks to the floor without dropping the block.
- Do 8 reps.
2. Reclining Bound Angle Pose
- Remain on the floor, but remove your yoga block while keeping your knees bent.
- Inhale and slowly spread your knees, dropping them to the floor on the sides.
3. Exhale while slowly bringing your knees together and lifting your pelvis off the floor.
4. Contract your pelvic muscles.
5. Release them and return them to the floor.
3. Triangle Pose (Utthita Trikonasana)
- Position yourself in Warrior Pose II.
- From that pose, straighten your front leg.
- Squeeze your inner legs and your perineum.
- Bring arms up parallel to the floor.
5. Putting your weight on your left leg, stretch your torso to the right side over your right leg.
6. Reach your left arm up toward the ceiling.
4. Mountain Pose (Tadasana) With Block
- Stand with feet hip-width apart.
- Rest your hands at your sides.
- Put a yoga block in between your thighs.
- Squeeze your thighs with the goal of making the yoga block upward toward your pelvis.
5. Knee to Chest (Apanasana)
- Lying on your back, bring your knees to your chest.
- Grab your shins and hold them in place while exhaling.
- Squeeze your core.
- While inhaling, put your feet on the floor and put your arms overhead.
6. Cat-Cow (Marjaryasana - Bitilasana)
- On your hands and knees, find a flat, neutral spine.
- While inhaling, lift your head and tailbone to the ceiling.
3. While exhaling, tuck your head and tailbone under toward the ground, rounding your spine upward.
4. Do 3-5 rounds while continuing to breathe.
5. While exhaling, bring your knees to your chest.
7. Chair Pose (Utkatasana)
- Start in Mountain Pose.
- Put your arms in front of you and keep them parallel to the floor.
- Bend your knees, pushing your hips backward.
- Squat down, imagining that you’re sitting on a chair.
8. Wide-Legged Squat / Garland Pose (Malasana)
- While standing, spread your feet to the sides of your mat.
- Squat down with your chest lifted.
- Touch the outsides of your elbows to the inside of your knees.
4. Put the palms of your hands together into a prayer pose.
5. Push elbows into your knees, breathing in and out and holding.
9. Supported Legs Up the Wall Pose (Viparita Karani)
- Put a blanket on your yoga mat.
- Lying on your back, put your legs up on the wall with the soles of your feet facing the ceiling.
- Rest your arms out to your sides, parallel to the wall.
- Stay lying in the pose while breathing for 10 minutes.
10. Bridge Pose (Setu Bandha Sarvangsana)
- Lying on your back, bend your knees 90 degrees, keeping feet flat on the floor.
- Bring your heels close to your butt.
- Move feet hip-distance apart.
4. Lift your lower back and butt off the floor, pushing the pelvis up to the ceiling.
5. Bring your arms under your torso.
6. Hold for 3 minutes.
Don’t forget to take some time to lie in Corpse Pose (Savasana) after your yoga practice to relax! To do this, lie on your mat on your back. Drop your arms and legs down to the ground and lie with your eyes closed. Continue deep breathing until you feel rested. Use a cozy blanket if you want to warm up.
Practice these poses a few times a week to strengthen your pelvic floor and improve symptoms of stress incontinence, overactive bladder (OAB), and improve your quality of life.
How to Get Free Bladder Control Products
If you already manage bladder leaks, you may be able to receive free protective incontinence products through your Medicaid or other insurance plan if you have a pre-existing condition that causes incontinence. Aeroflow Urology is your #1 source to get these high-quality bladder control products delivered to you and covered by insurance.
Want to know more about who qualifies and how your insurance may be able to cover your bladder control supplies? Visit our How It Works page.
We carry the following top-rated brands:
- And more!
Depending on how severe your leakage is, we can supply you with the incontinence product that will suit your needs best, including:
- Adult protective underwear.
- Adult briefs.
- Bladder control pads.
- Male guards.
- Male incontinence shields.
- 3-in-1 Maternity pads.
Our expert Continence Care Specialists will answer any questions you have and will even send you free samples so you can find your perfect fit. We also mail your order directly to your front door every month for free, no matter where you live.
Find out if you qualify today with our easy, 2-step Eligibility Form!
Information provided on the Aeroflow Urology blog is not intended as a substitute for medical advice or care from a healthcare professional. Aeroflow recommends consulting your healthcare provider if you are experiencing medical issues relating to incontinence.