The Complete Guide to Incontinence Products
Adult Incontinence Products
Bladder Control Pads
Bladder Control Pads are ideal for women experiencing light bladder leakage due to activities such as laughing, sneezing, coughing, or exercising. Bladder control pads, along with male guards, are the most discreet option when it comes to incontinence supplies.
The bladder control pad is similar to a menstrual pad in that it attaches to the inside of an undergarment with its adhesive bottom layer. Although similar to a menstrual pad in appearance and function, bladder control pads offer extra protection. Incontinence pads have specialized absorbency polymers that are designed specifically to absorb urine.
These absorbent pads offer fast absorbency of leaks, keeping you dry and comfortable, as well as odor-free. Bladder control pads are small, thin, and discreet, allowing for you to easily slip them into a purse or backpack while you are on the go. The small packaging also allows for easy changing in public places.
Bladder Control Pad Key Features
- Best for light leakage or stress incontinence
- Offers the most discreet protection
- Designed for the female anatomy
- Adhesive strip attaches the pad to undergarments
- Sizing is determined by absorbency and length
- Small packaging allows for discreet changes and easy storage in purses or other bags
Male Guards are designed specifically for the male anatomy, with a higher ridge in front to trap leakage as soon as it happens. The underside of the male guard comfortably and securely attaches to the inside of the underwear, creating a snug seal between the body and the undergarment.
The male guard absorbs leaks quickly and efficiently, trapping odor and keeping you comfortable and dry. The fabric forms into a cup shape, with a soft, cotton top layer that protects from skin irritation. The male guard is best for light leakage that occurs when lifting heavy objects, coughing, sneezing, or performing other strenuous movements.
Male Guard Key Features
- Best for light leakage or stress incontinence
- Offers discreet protection
- Designed specifically for the male anatomy
- Easily attaches to undergarments
- Small packaging allows for discreet changing
- Product easily fits into backpacks, briefcases, or other bags
Protective Underwear (Pull-Ons)
Protective Underwear, commonly referred to as pull-ons, is an incontinence product with cloth like fabric that resembles typical underwear. Pull-ons are best suited for individuals with moderate leakage due to having overactive bladder (OAB), mixed incontinence, or frequent, sudden urges to urinate followed by involuntary voiding of the bladder.
The elastic waistband and leg openings of protective underwear offer the user maximum comfort. The ease of removing the pull-on makes this product ideal for independent, mobile adults with moderate bladder leakage.
Incontinence underwear is also available in both male and female styles, as well as gender neutral. The gender-specific protective underwear offers absorbency in different areas based on the male or female anatomy. The gender-specific design helps to prevent leakage quickly and efficiently.
Protective Underwear Key Features
- Ideal for moderate leakage
- Most commonly used for overactive bladder, mixed incontinence, or if the individual has frequent, sudden urges to urinate that result in voiding of the bladder
- Elastic waist and leg openings allow for the product to be easily pulled on and off
- Clothlike material resembles typical underwear
- No fasteners or tabs
- Available in moderate, heavy, extra heavy, & maximum absorbency levels
- Gender-specific options available
Disposable Briefs (Adult Diapers)
Disposable Briefs, commonly called adult diapers, are optimal for individuals that experience heavy urinary incontinence or bowel incontinence. Adult briefs offer the most absorbency and protection, making the brief ideal for those with heavier levels of leakage. Tab closures allow for changing without completely removing clothes, making briefs an ideal option for adults with limited mobility or those that need assistance from a caregiver or loved one. Incontinence briefs trap liquid quickly, providing long lasting dryness and odor control.
Disposable Brief Key Features
- Best suited for those with heavy leakage due to reflex incontinence, overflow incontinence, functional incontinence, or bowel incontinence
- Provides the highest level of absorbency of all of the types of incontinence products
- Tab closures allow for changing without completely undressing
- Available in Moderate, Heavy, Extra Heavy, Maximum, and Overnight absorbency levels
Additional Continence Care Products
Gloves provide a layer of protection and hygiene for a caregiver when changing incontinence products.
Disposable wipes, also referred to as moist towelettes, assist with easy cleanups. Our disposable wipes are also larger than the average baby wipe, resulting in more quick and efficient cleanups.
Underpads, sometimes referred to as chux, are protective pads that offer extra protection for furniture such as couches, mattresses, and car seats.
Pediatric Incontinence Products
Diapers, also referred to as briefs when the child is transitioning from pediatric products to youth or adult products, are typically what comes to mind when thinking of incontinence products. Diapers provide tabs that allow for easy changing, especially for children with limited mobility. The tear-away sides also allow for a more hygienic removal.
Diaper Key Features
- Available in pediatric and youth sizes
- Fasteners and tabs allow for easy changing without completely undressing
- Absorbent polymers trap urine quickly, keeping skin dry and clean
Pull-Ups, available in both pediatric and youth sizes, are a great transitional product for children with incontinence. This product is ideal for children that are mobile and prefer a cloth like fabric that resembles typical underwear. The absorbent underwear has soft elastic waist and leg openings that provide comfortable protection for the child.
Pull-Up Key Features
- Available in a range of different sizes for both pediatric and youth
- Elastic, soft leg and waist openings with flexible fit
- Product can be pulled on and off like typical underwear
- Available in unisex options
- Premium leak protection for active children
Incontinence Products Through Medicaid
Did you know that you could receive these incontinence products at no cost through your Medicaid plan? With Aeroflow Urology, you may be eligible to receive your continence care supplies straight to your door on a monthly basis in discreet packaging. To check your eligibility, fill out our quick and easy form, and one of our Continence Care Specialists will contact you via phone or email in 1-2 business days with an update on your coverage status.