What Is An Indwelling Catheter?

How does an indwelling catheter work, and what makes it different than other types of catheters? If you or someone you know needs to get a catheter, you may be asking yourself the same questions. Hopefully, this blog can help you find the answer to your questions.

Foley Catheters

Foley catheters are the most common type of indwelling catheters. Unlike intermittent catheters, indwelling catheters can stay inside of you for prolonged periods of time. This is especially helpful for those who are bed ridden, have a bedriddenralysis, enlarged prostates, or those who are sedated.

There are two basic types of Foley catheters that you can use: Two Channel and Three Channel.

A two channel indwelling catheter is set up with two external ports which convene into one tube that is divided into two channels. The first channel goes two ways and is used for draining urine out of the bladder and into the drainage bag.

The other channel is used to fill up a balloon with sterilized water. This balloon rests just beyond the entrance to the bladder holding the catheter in place.

Three channel catheters are very similar; however the third channel is used to fill the bladder with saline solution for cleansing.

If you are looking for a brand new indwelling catheter, Aeroflow is here for you. We can help you find the right catheter for you through your insurance. Whether you need an indwelling catheter, intermittent catheter or external catheter we can help you find it.

Our trained staff will collect your insurance information, as well as doctor’s notes to insure that you get the best possible supplies to fit your needs. You can call us toll free, at (888) 345-1780. You can also qualify for a catheter on our site through our ‘Qualify Through Insurance’ form.  We look forward to hearing from you, and are ready to help you with all of your catheter needs.

Information provided on the Aeroflow Urology blog is not intended as a substitute to medical advice or care. Aeroflow recommends consulting your healthcare provider if you are experiencing medical issues relating to incontinence.