Hi, Aeroflow family! Allow me to introduce myself. I blog at Trudy Triumph and I have written a book titled Beyond Embarrassment: Reclaiming your Life with Neurogenic Bladder and Bowel.
I have neurogenic bladder and bowel and use a catheter about 6 times a day and my bowel sometimes gets me into trouble. I hope that the tips I write will give you comfort.
I learned these 10 important lessons.
- If I fell on the playground and my mouth bled, few noticed unless I screamed loud. This blog is my scream-loud tactic.
- Even if kids saw my scabby lip, they didn’t care. Now I keep quiet about my medical condition unless someone shows interest.
- If a kid tried to push me and I could get away with it, I pushed back. Now think about this folks, writing a book about personal bowel and bladder dysfunction is a set up for a big put down by the prim and proper folks. Trudy Triumph and Beyond Embarrassment are my written push back attempts. WE CAN TALK ABOUT THIS!
- My friends did not care until I gave them a reason to care. When my friend Adrian and I ran for Sargent-at-Arms, we won because candy helped. This blog and the book I wrote is your gift from me, like the candy, and hopefully your gift to others as well.
- To get a friend, you need to be a friend. Friends pass the day very well indeed.
- Scabbed lips make good school pictures. I am forever grateful that I had a mom who celebrated my imperfections. I was raised to not run away from the painful.
- It does not pay to lie, you get caught anyway. I had to decide early on who I was writing for. Patients are my target audience. Sometimes I write about things that perhaps the medical profession would not like. That is ok because I am a single person and this blog is a voice of a patient, not a “paid to sell” or a tactic to sway you a way I would not go myself.
- When I bragged few cared. But if I was real, I was shown empathy. This one needs no explanation.
- If a kid is stinky, the bullying satisfaction only lasts a short time. Bullies grow up to have problems of their own.
- It made no sense to try to please the popular girl because she was not my friend anyway. Do you know the most popular nonfiction books are cookbooks? I hate to cook. Right now, you are my friends because we are interested in this topic. I feel fulfilled doing this, popular or not.
Beyond Embarrassment is available on our online store — purchase your copy here. It’s been recognized as a “very powerful and important book . . . an impressive achievement” by Jonathan Kirsch, Attorney.